Sunday, January 13, 2013

Marathon Training Week 8 + 9

Week 8
Week 8

Monday: Rest
Tuesday: 4 miles to start off the year
Wednesday: 7 miles
Thursday: 4 miles + p90x abs
Friday: 3 miles + p90x Shoulders & Arms
Saturday: 7 miler + p90x abs
Sunday: Long run 15 miler!

I felt great this week (and I'm starting to incorporate more strength training workouts on short running days)! During the 15 miler, my goal was to run it at least at a 9 min pace, but I ran with JV the whole time and with him I'm usually faster. We ended up doing 15 miles at 8:46 pace. I didn't feel too bad afterwards either. I also got a chance to see my progress. We ran 13.1 miles in 1:55.
Back in June, running 13.1 miles in 1:57 was the fastest I could go and today on a training run, I was doing it at medium effort. I was thinking of all the hard work I have put in and how far I still have to go to reach my goals. One thing I forgot today is the importance of fueling and hydrating. I didn't bring along water with me but I did bring Shot Bloks (prefer them over GU). They work fine for me except sometimes I need water to drink it down. Afterwards, I felt dehydrated (which tends to happen to me alot). I felt woozy and even felt like I was about to hurl. I've had this problem for a while.. it could be either after a hard effort run or a long run or too little water, but I feel horrible afterwards  and sometimes I start seeing dark spots. The only thing that makes it go away is usually after I end up throwing up or I sip on orange juice. It also goes and comes randomly. Sometimes I run at a hard pace and feel fine and sometimes I go on a short run and suddenly I feel dizzy. But anywho, after the 15 miler, I only gagged a little and ate a banana while sipping on water and felt fine afterwards. Still curious as to why this happens.

_________________________________________________________________________
Week 9
Week 9: Step-Back Week

Monday: Rest
Tuesday: 4 miles.. slow and recovering + p90x Shoulders & Arms
Wednesday: 1 mile warm-up + 4 tempo miles (7:52 pace) + abs
Thursday: 3 slow miles, prepping for Saturdays race
Friday: no running; 30 mins of p90x Chest & Back + abs
Saturday: Polar Dash Half Marathon! (spoiler: new PR ;))
Sunday: 4 Easy shakeout miles

Kept my runs at an easy pace this week after the 15miler and also because of the half marathon. Did a 4mile tempo on Wednesday to get speed training in. Although I thought I wasn't going to be able to run my tempo miles at a sub-8 pace after the long run, and also because I was still a little stiff, I was a little skeptical. Once I warmed up, I focused on keeping my pace and surprisingly I was able to. It was tough, but I did it. I'm also really comfortable getting in strength training on my short-run days.

I was def ready for Saturday's Polar Dash Half Marathon.

On Sunday, I felt like I could go for a short run to loosen up my calves since they felt a little tight. Kept it slow, and just enjoyed being out there.

Week 10, bring it!
8 weeks of training left
and 6 weeks till taper!!!


Midwinter Cruise 5k and 17 miler here we come :)

(Oh yeah, first day of Spring Semester tomorrow, one year and 4 months till graduation!!!!!!)

No comments:

Post a Comment